Thursday, September 16, 2010

Week 1: Texans 34, Colts 24

The Houston Texans are 1-0 for what seems like the first time since their franchise opener against Dallas back in 2002.  Before the game I sent a text to Trenton that said “In 5 years we are still going to be talking about how awesome it was that one time we beat the Colts on opening day.”  After watching that game I’m pretty sure I’ll be talking about that game for 10 years.  I’ve never cheered so loudly for the Texans.  My roommate’s girlfriend, whom I met for the first time on that Sunday, asked if I was on drugs because I was acting so irrationally each time the Texans did anything good. 

Unfortunately, now my expectations have been raised.  A lot of teams that were supposed to be contenders sure looked like pretenders on Sunday.  The Colts performed exactly like a team with a Super Bowl hangover.  Dropped passes, miscommunications, injuries, Peyton yelling at other people.  This bodes well for the Texans.  I see the playoffs coming down to 8 teams: Texans, Titans, Colts, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, Patriots, and Jets.  2 of those teams won’t make it.  Who’s to say it won’t be the Colts and Jets?  That would be my prediction.

Clearly the most important thing to take away from week 1 is that it looks  like we have a run game this year.  Let’s just hope for both the Texans and my fantasy team that Arian Foster doesn’t go the way of Domanick Davis and Steve Slaton.  The second most important thing is that Mario Williams played like the best Defensive End in the league on Sunday.  That was definitely his best game as a pro besides his 3 sack game against Denver 2  years ago.  He was everywhere.  Our new offensive coordinator, Rick Dennison, impressed me.  I know it sounds easy, but he actually changed the game plan once he saw that we were running all over the Colts.  I guarantee you Kyle Shanahan would have been forcing play action rollouts that were completely unnecessary.  Oh by the way, Shanahan is now the offensive coordinator of a team that was able to produce 6 points offensively.  If we can’t beat the Redskins, we have no business making the playoffs, and it will prove that we have learned nothing over the past 3 seasons.  We are a better team than the Redskins.  This is 100% on the coaching staff if they can’t motivate the players for this game.  We’ve seen it 100 times for the Texans.  Letdown after letdown.  It’s about time we do something right and show some consistency.

I’m now going to update my prediction for the Texans after each week.  For now, I’m keeping it the same as I predicted in the preseason.  Also, we are going to start out 4-0.  There is no way we lose to the Redskins, Cowboys, or Raiders… unless our coaching staff fucks it up.

Adjusted Texans Prediction: 11-5 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9/18/2010

    Time to show that they are for real. Need a road win and players' confidence will grow. Agreed it looked like the Texans coaches actually made adjustments at half time.

    ReplyDelete